The East forensics squad traveled to Leavenworth, Kan. to compete at the Leavenworth High School invitational tournament on Feb. 24 and 25. East ended the tournament with the second place sweepstakes award, one point behind Piper High School who took first place. Lawrence Free State won third place.
Individually, members of the East squad earned three more state qualifications and two qualifications to the Forensics Coaches Invitational. Sophomore Sam Sokoloff qualified to state in Impromptu Speaking. Senior Trenton Hawes received his second state qualification of the season in Foreign Extemporaneous speaking. Freshman Margaret Veghlan received her second state qualification this season in Prose, and juniors Matthew Trecek and Daniel Hill received their third in Duo Interpretation.
“East forensics has always been full of great individuals that do well on their own,” sophomore Luke Bledsoe said. “I really thought that we did well as a team this weekend.”
East will be competing at Olathe Northwest on March 3 and 4. The following week they will be competing to qualify the Christian Forensics League tournament in Louisville, Ky. May 26-29.
- Grant Colvin- 1st, Congressional Debate
- Sarah Bledsoe- 5th, Congressional Debate
- Ian Gould- 6th, Congressional Debate
- Sam Sokoloff- 3-1 (Honorable Mention), Lincoln-Douglas Debate
- Sam Sokoloff- 3rd, Impromptu (state qual)
- Trenton Hawes- 6th, Impromptu
- Trenton Hawes- 1st, Foreign Extemp (state qual)
- Grant Colvin- 6th, Foreign Extemp
- Alex Jenson- 6th, Domestic Extemp
- Daniel Hill- 5th, Informative
- Daniel Hill /
- Matthew Trecek- 2nd, Duo Interpretation (state qual, FCI qual)
- Margaret Veglahn /
- Luke Knopke- 6th, Duo Interpretation
- Jane Sonnichsen- 4th, Dramatic Interpretation
- Lucy Brock- 4th, Dramatic Interpretation
- Luke Bledsoe- 2nd, Program of Oral Interp
- Grace Garbe- 4th, Program of Oral Interp